Thryve is the world’s first gut health company that incorporates microbiome testing with personalized dietary and probiotic recommendations.
Thryve's Gut Health Kit
Indexed 36,000+ microbiome research articles
We reference most of the microbiome research articles and provide the descriptions of 3000+ kinds of bacteria in
natural language. In short, we've pulled all the important information on each microbe so you get the most robust set of information on "why" each microbiome matters.
Mapped 1,000 food ingredients
We provide diet suggestions to our customers based on their microbiome test results. Customers can discover the right foods to add or to avoid into their daily diet to enhance beneficial bacteria and reduce pathogenic bacteria.
Mapped 500 supplements
We cite clinical and scientific studies about the benefits of supplements from relevant journals and indicate the relationship between the gut microbiome and these supplements.
Research confidence algorithm
We reference journal publications with clinical and scientific studies related to the probiotic strains and food ingredients. Our algorithm is based on consideration of the size, effects, time of the clinical studies, and impact factor of these journals.
Wellness Score algorithm
In our wellness score algorithm, we compare the amounts of probiotics, beneficial, commensal and pathogenic bacteria from our customer’s gut microbiome test to the American Gut Project results. From this comparison, we can calculate their gut microbiome diversity, which is the richness of bacterial genus or species (amounts of different bacteria) that characterizes the gut microbiome in individuals. We also consider the abundance of gut bacteria, including the percentage of beneficial bacteria (ex: Akkermansia, Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus), proteobacteria, and more.
Thryve's Personalized Probiotics
Clinical and scientific research for our strain formulations
Our immune health formulation contains Lactobacillus paracasei Th1 and Th2. L. paracasei Th1 is also called LP33, Th2 is called AAP-2. Several clinical studies have shown that they can modulate the immune system by alleviating symptoms of allergic rhinitis and atopic dermatitis (Ref 1, Ref 2, Ref 3). In addition, our weight management formulation contains Lactobacillus reuteri Tr1, which is also called L. ruteri ADR1. This patented probiotic strain can modulate metabolic health, help weight management (ref 4, Ref 5), and is currently under a 2017-2018 clinical trial at (Ref 6).
Our digestive health formulation contains Bacillus, Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species, ingredients that are derived from plants, human and dairy products. They are gluten-free and encapsulated in vegetable cellulose, which helps bypass stomach acid.
Our Microbiome Test
Figure 1. Thryve’s sample preservation buffer keeps microbial composition of fecal samples unchanged after two months at ambient temperature.
3-1. Sample preservation buffer
Bacteria in fecal samples can grow before their genomic DNA (gDNA) gets extracted. We have developed one of the best sample preservation buffer that is able to stabilize bacteria and prevent cells from growing before they are analyzed (Figure 1). Without stabilization capability, the buffer can’t preserve bacterial composition from the initial fecal sample.
3-2. gDNA extraction
To be able to sequence gut bacteria, it is necessary to extract gDNA from them. We have developed protocols that enable us to extract bacteria evenly without bias.
We have implemented error correction in our pipeline and reduced the times of PCR for library preparation to lessen the possibility of PCR bias.
3-4. Bioinformatic Analysis
We have implemented error correction protocols in our bioinformatic pipeline and used the most representative database for gut microbiome.
Research we are conducting
Figure 2. Customers % abundance of beneficial bacteria.
Increase in probiotics after using Thryve’s service.
We provide personalized probiotic and dietary recommendations for our customers. We have found the abundance of their beneficial gut bacteria was increased, including Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus, Roseburia and Faecalibacterium (Figure 2 only shows Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus and Roseburia ). Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus are generally found in probiotic formulas. They can provide many health benefits, such as better digestion, increased immunity, improved skin health and more. Roseburia and Faecalibacterium can improve intestinal health by producing butyrate, which is the energy source of intestinal cells. They are able to ameliorate symptoms of leaky gut and irritable bowel syndrome conditions (ref 7, ref 8).
Table 1. Our dietary studies on healthy volunteers.
Diet that changes our microbiome
Thryve is engaged in several human dietary microbiome research projects, including Juice Cleansing diet, Soylent diet, Ketogenic diet, Vegan diet, and Kombucha. We are also investigating microbiome changes and health conditions before, during and after the diets.
Our research procedure consists of three sampling phases. Phase A is for two days before the diets, Phase B is for three days during the diets, and Phase C is for three days after the diets (Table 1). Our volunteers provide samples every day during the eight days. These samples are analyzed for weight change, stool color, stool bristol scale (Ref 9), bacterial populations, etc. We have been pleasantly surprised by the change of bacterial populations throughout the study periods.
Figure 3. Diversity changes in the diet studies.
From the analysis in Figure 3, we found our volunteers on the Juice Cleansing and Ketogenic diets have higher gut microbe diversity than on the regular diets. Having two bottles of Kombucha with the regular diet reduced the gut microbes diversity. A high diversity of microbiota species characterizes the gastrointestinal microbiome in healthy individuals
Figure 4. The change of Sutterella/Parasutterella genus, Betaproteobacteria class and Proteobacteria phylum during Ketogenic diet.
1. Bousquet J, Khaltaev N, Cruz AA, Denburg J, Fokkens WJ, Togias A et al. Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) 2008 update (in collaboration with the World Health Organization, GA(2)LEN and AllerGen). Allergy 2008; 63 (Suppl 86), 8–160.
2. Wang, M. F., Lin, H. C., Wang, Y. Y. and Hsu, C. H. (2004), Treatment of perennial allergic rhinitis with lactic acid bacteria. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, 15: 152–158. doi:10.1111/j.1399-3038.2004.00156.x
3. I.-J. Wang and J.-Y. Wang, Clinical & Experimental Allergy, 2015 (45) 779–787.
4. Ting, W.-J.; Kuo, W.-W.; Hsieh, D.J.-Y.; Yeh, Y.-L.; Day, C.-H.; Chen, Y.-H.; Chen, R.-J.; Padma, V.V.; Chen, Y.-H.; Huang, C.-Y., Heat Killed Lactobacillus reuteri GMNL-263 Reduces Fibrosis Effects on the Liver and Heart in High Fat Diet-Hamsters via TGF-β Suppression. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2015, 16, 25881-25896.
5. Lu Y-C, et al. Effect of Lactobacillus reuteri GMNL-263 treatment on renal fibrosis in diabetic rats. J Biosci Bioeng. 2010;110(6):709–715.
7. Jiang, S., Xie, S., Lv, D. et al. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek (2016) 109: 1389.
8. Patterson, Angela M. et al. “Human Gut Symbiont Roseburia Hominis Promotes and Regulates Innate Immunity.” Frontiers in Immunology 8 (2017): 1166. PMC. Web. 7 Mar. 2018.
10. M.L. Heiman, F.L. Greenway, A healthy gastrointestinal microbiome is dependent on dietary diversity, Mol Metabol, 5 (2016), pp. 317-320
11. Zhang C, Zhang M, Pang X, Zhao Y, Wang L, Zhao L. Structural resilience of the gut microbiota in adult mice under high-fat dietary perturbations. The ISME Journal. 2012;6(10):1848-1857. doi:10.1038/ismej.2012.27.
12. Chiu C-M, Huang W-C, Weng S-L, et al. Systematic Analysis of the Association between Gut Flora and Obesity through High-Throughput Sequencing and Bioinformatics Approaches. BioMed Research International. 2014;2014:906168.
Choose Your Gut Health Journey
GUT HEALTH TESTING KIT
$150 / kit
or $105/kit monthly
- Your gut health test kit includes a gut health report and customized food recommendations.
GUT HEALTH BUNDLE
$135 / bundle
- Your bundle includes a gut health test, gut health report, customized food recommendations, and monthly personalized probiotics.
$39 / bottle
- Your personalized probiotics includes monthly probiotics shipped to your door.